Striking the right staff balance
Northumbria NHS Foundation Trust is one of a number of trusts across England currently seeking to recruit nurses trained overseas.
Trust executive director of nursing Rosemary Stephenson says nurses who have trained overseas and moved to the UK form an important part of the workforce.
‘Our prime concern when recruiting any new nurse is making sure we employ people who share our values, show compassion, and care about putting patients first,’ she says.
‘We have many long-standing members of staff who have built their careers with us over the years, making a much-valued contribution to patient care.’
Jenny Locsin joined the trust from the Philippines in 2002 as a staff nurse, and is now a ward manager. ‘Although it is different to working as a nurse back home, the skills...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests