Mental health nursing on an island: helping children cope with anxiety and crisis
Mental health nurse Laura Matthews’ picture book, Arlen the Anxious Alpaca, helps children handle difficult feelings
When mental health nurse Laura Matthews noticed that one of her nephews and other young children were struggling with anxiety during the first COVID-19 lockdown last year, she decided to act, writing a children’s book to help them cope with difficult feelings.
‘There are a lot of resources out there, but nothing suitable for what I was looking for,’ says Ms Matthews, who works on the Isle of Man.
‘I had the idea of writing a story. It’s not something I’ve done before and it started as a personal project rather than something I intended to publish. But it came
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests