Let’s sit down and talk about it
Staff and managers are encouraged to talk openly and honestly, and find their own solutions
Mediation is an informal process intended to reach an agreed way forward between two parties who are in conflict at work. The approach has been adopted by East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust (ELHT) because ‘we wanted to provide something more formal to support individuals in resolving conflict at work without having to resort to potentially more stressful processes’, according to the trust’s head of human resources David Smithson.
The trust employs around 2,000 nursing and midwifery whole-time-equivalent registered staff.
A voluntary mediation training scheme run by mediation provider Consensio was established in April and 12 people, including a nurse, were chosen to take part. Eight more mediators are now involved, including two nurses who had been trained in mediation...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Mental Health Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests