Watford FC opens its arms to people with learning disabilities
People with learning disabilities can feel a sense of connection by going to football matches, especially at clubs that welcome them creatively
After watching England’s dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Colombia in the 2018 World Cup, TV presenter and former England striker Gary Lineker tweeted: ‘Football. There is nothing like it. Nothing.’
Part of the joy of that moment was the collective feeling that people in England shared, the sense we were all part of something. I believe this is among the reasons we go to football matches: the bond with the team we support and the connection we feel.
- RELATED: Sports
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests