Nurse recruitment: when will red list countries be an NHS no-go?
With the NHS struggling to fill UK nurse vacancies, recruitment from low-income countries continues. despite the obvious ethical issues
The UK’s role as a major recruiter of nurses from low-income countries around the world has been highlighted in the latest statistical report from the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) .
Almost 11,500 internationally educated nurses joined the NMC register in the six months to September 2022, most of whom were educated in India, the Philippines, Nigeria and Ghana.
International recruits make up close to half of new registrants
This represented almost half the total
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests