Unplanned hospital readmissions of older people with learning disabilities
Study looks at hospital readmissions among older people with learning disabilities compared with the general population
Studies have examined hospital readmission rates as an indicator of premature discharge and poor quality of service, but this has been little explored in relation to readmissions of older adults with learning disabilities, especially relating to physical health conditions.
A number of known risk factors for failed discharges and hospital readmissions in the general population appear to disproportionately affect people with learning disabilities. These include particular health conditions, as well as polypharmacy and exposure to a range of known determinants of health inequalities.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests