Supporting the needs of offenders
NHS England has published a guide to advise all prison healthcare staff on the main points to consider when treating or managing patients with known or suspected learning disabilities.
The document, Equal Access, Equal Care, applies community healthcare policy and best practice to the prison setting, aiming to educate healthcare professionals who do not have a background in learning disability practice about the key aspects of caring for those prisoners who need extra support.
It is also expected to be a useful tool for prison-based learning disability professionals wanting to educate other staff on how to meet the needs of this vulnerable group.
RCN professional UK lead for criminal justice and learning disability nursing Ann Norman wrote the foreword to the guide. She says the breadth of information it contains will enable all prison staff to draw on appropriate tools when necessary and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests