How to help families lead healthier and happier lives
In recent years there has been much controversy about how healthcare staff cope with people with learning disabilities who display challenging behaviour.
The issue was highlighted in 2011, when a BBC team secretly filmed misuse of physical restraint that amounted to the abuse of residents at Winterbourne View assessment and treatment hospital, Bristol.
The resulting Panorama documentary prompted the Department of Health (DH) to issue last year’s guidance on physical restraint and seclusion as last resortsGuidance
This year, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has published guidance on the management of challenging behaviour in people with learning disabilities.
The guidance is relevant to the care of people with learning disabilities and behaviour that challenges of all ages, including children, young people and adults.
The guidance covers a wide range of topics, including support and interventions for family members and carers, assessment...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests