Dating agencies: a chance to find romance for people with learning disabilities
Learning disability nurses might be asked to help a service user looking for love and companionship to apply to a dating agency
- Nurses should encourage clients to join but may be asked to provide a reference
- Some nurses are unsure if they should provide a reference, or what to disclose
- Agencies have more men than women members, meaning men face long waits for a date
Dating has always had particular challenges for people with learning disabilities, but in the right circumstances it can open the door to new friendships, a better social life and even love and marriage.
In recognition of this, a small but significant number of specialist dating agencies have developed across the UK – and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests