Weekly walkabout in Wales
What is your job?
As nurse director I lead nursing strategy, and the approach to care and nursing standards in the mental health and learning disability delivery unit for Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board.
Nurse director Hazel Powell. Picture: PhotodiscWhy did you become a nurse?
To be honest, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to be, but my mum worked as a nursing assistant at Dingleton Hospital in the Scottish Borders. I started there as an activity assistant in older people’s services and loved it, so I decided to do my mental health nurse training.
After working in mental health, I got a job on the learning disability ward, supporting people to move to community living.
I loved the diversity of working with people with learning disabilities. I realised that through listening and supporting them and their families I could make a difference,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests