'Remaining focused on working together will move our profession forward'
Joann Kiernan is one of only two learning disability consultant nurses in England
What is your job?
I am a learning disability nurse lecturer teaching across professional programmes and I also contribute to allied health and social care provision.
I also have a clinical role as consultant intellectual disability nurse at Alder Hey Children’s hospital in Liverpool and this is one of only two such posts in the country. This role involves supporting the hospital to look strategically at the needs of children who have a learning disability and conditions on the autistic spectrum to ensure they receive appropriate provision.
Working alongside Jim Blair at London’s Great Ormond Street hospital, I am keen to share resources and best practice while promoting the provision of effective care for children who have an intellectual disability in the acute paediatric sector.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests