Tips for preceptorship
Applying for and gaining your first post can be an anxious time. While getting the job is essential, it is also important to consider what an employer can offer that will ease the transition from student to registered nurse.
The Department of Health has published key principles for preceptorship, and preceptorship programmes are advocated by the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Most employers now offer them, but the quality and length of programmes vary.
Preceptorship is intended to support students as they adapt to the realities of being a registered practitioner. The NMC acknowledges that newly registered nurses will not have all the necessary skills on qualifying – these will be developed through...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests