Taking theory into real life
Course leaders at Buckinghamshire New University, which launched its service improvement research and evaluation partnerships (SIREP) programme in 2012, say the scheme gives students valuable real-life experience of innovation and service improvement in a healthcare setting and enhances their employability.
Meanwhile, host organisations, which include acute and community NHS trusts and voluntary organisations, say the students inject fresh thinking into their organisations and help improve services.
For Robert Varro, the SIREP programme offered not only a hands-on research opportunity but was also the gateway to a new career.▶
Mr Varro already held degrees in horticultural engineering and law and public administration and decided to train as a nurse after arriving in the UK from his native Romania.▶
He was one of the first cohort of students on the two-year postgraduate diploma at Buckinghamshire New University and he was encouraged to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Learning Disability Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests