Improving care for older people
Nursing home manager Arleen Testa’s leadership and dedication to improving care for older people has been recognised by the RCN Older People’s Commissioner for Wales Award. She speaks to Stephanie Jones-Berry about the challenges and rewards of the role.Abstract
‘I have found my niche,’ says Arleen Testa, manager of Glan-yr-Afon nursing home in Blackwood, Caerphilly.
‘My role allows me to be a nurse, advocate, carer, leader, friend, part of the family, older people’s champion and celebrant of good care homes,’ she says.
A tireless campaigner in raising the profile of older people’s care, Ms Testa is also fearless in challenging poor practice, and it was this that led to the former surgical nurse scooping the RCN Older People’s Commissioner for Wales Award 2015.
Her passion and energy are evident at Glan-yr-Afon, which has a staff of 45 caring for 39 residents over the age of...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests