Letter: 20 years on we face the same crisis in emergency care
Gary Jones asks how much longer we must endure the annual prospect of winter pressures on emergency departments
Here are a couple of quotations on the parlous state of our emergency departments:
‘An RCN A&E Association survey Still Waiting for a Bed shows the situation has not changed in two years. The report urges trusts to prepare for the extra pressure on beds envisaged for the winter. Meanwhile a high-level summit with all political parties and the Department of Health has been initiated to discuss the issues, highlight concerns and move to a plan to prevent a similar situation occurring next year’.
‘Now the RCN, the Department of Health and others have submitted evidence to a Commons Health Committee inquiry into planning for winter pressures on emergency departments. For the past five years, ED winter performance against the four-hour target has been in...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests