Childhood asthma: treatment options and why it is under-diagnosed
The UK has some of the highest prevalence, emergency admission and death rates for childhood asthma in Europe
What is asthma?
Asthma is a chronic respiratory condition associated with airway inflammation and hyper-responsiveness, says the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in its clinical knowledge summary .
It is described as heterogeneous, with different underlying disease processes and variations in severity, clinical course, and response to treatment.
What are the symptoms?
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Variable expiratory airflow limitation, which may vary
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests