Why England’s 2020 opt-out organ donation law is so important for emergency services
Early engagement with specialist organ donation colleagues is vital as soon as decisions are made around end of life care in the resus room
As emergency nurses we are frequently faced with caring for the relatives of patients whose lives have been dramatically cut short.
Difficult conversations about organ donation are undertaken with distressed families during this tragic and confusing time.
In spring 2020, the law around organ donation in England is changing to an opt-out system. This means that adults will be considered to be an organ donor unless they opt out of the register.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests