Triage by ACPs eases pressure on ambulatory care and admissions unit
Advanced clinical practitioners who can order X-rays and CT scans are helping a hospital to achieve timely treatment
Attendances at emergency departments in England during the winter period of 2017-2018 rose by 1.6%, with 22.9% of patients waiting longer than four hours - up 2.2% on 2016-2017.
Inevitably, patients requiring admission to hospital rose, to an average of 944 patients per day. Combined with a reported 1,100 fewer acute hospital beds available and an above average bed occupancy rate of 95.2%, this meant NHS services were struggling to meet demand.
NHS Improvement said detrimental operational factors affecting the performance of NHS trusts that winter included demand on services,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests