Breeding ground for bullying? How to stop toxic behaviour in EDs
Civility Saves Lives and RespectED aim to raise awareness about bullying and harassment among nurses in emergency departments to help improve work environments
Emergency departments (EDs) are often noisy, busy and overcrowded places. For patients and relatives, the environment can feel alien and frightening.
For nursing staff, the ED can be a relentless grind of stress. And with that stress can come burnout and toxic behaviours, which can create a ‘breeding ground for bullying.’
Harassment, incivility and bullying between members of staff can have a hugely negative effect on individuals and wider team morale. And, as highlighted by the 2013 Francis Report into care failings at Mid
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests