The real-life Charlie Fairhead: how my career inspired Casualty’s most enduring character
Gary Jones talks about how it feels to have his nursing career portrayed on the small screen
Back in 1986 a new television drama was screened for the first time.
Set in a fictional English hospital, Casualty aimed to show the life of an emergency department and those who worked there. Now in its 35th year, the show is thought to be the longest-running emergency medical drama series in the world.
Nurses were keen to be accurately portrayed on TV
But when it first aired on BBC One, its fair to say that not everyone was impressed.
It was the story
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Enjoy 1 month's access for £1 and get:
- Full access to emergencynurse.com
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal