How can nurses identify and manage patients with delirium?
Emergency department nurses can encounter people presenting with signs of delirium and need to recognise it and effectively manage the patient and their family
Emergency nurses can play a pivotal role in identifying and managing patients with delirium. People presenting to the emergency department (ED) with delirium will often be older and frail, with co-morbidities, such as dementia.
Unlike dementia, delirium can develop quickly, and could result in a longer hospital admission, as well as increased risk of dementia and mortality ( National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) 2017 ). Half
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Emergency Nurse
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests