Book review: Revalidation: A Journey for Nurses and Midwives
Revalidation: A Journey for Nurses and Midwives
Marianne Fairley-Murdoch and Paula Ingram
McGraw Hill Education
£19.99 | 224pp
This publication informs individual registrants of the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s revalidation requirements.
While I would recommend it to registrants wanting a comprehensive understanding of revalidation and underpinning in-depth theory, there are a few annoying and confusing aspects. Continuity in wording is lacking: ‘fitness for practice’ and ‘fitness to practise’ are both used.
The introductory chapter lacks focus, but those on continuing professional development (CPD), feedback, reflection, reflective discussion and confirmation are informative. Excellent examples of CPD and feedback are provided, although the section on the latter lacks clear guidance in linking to the NMC code.
Reflection is demystified – models of reflection are explored and all sections are clearly underpinned by theory.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests