How abuse from patients is affecting our nurses
Shocking figures show an escalation in violence and aggression by members of the public, increasing during the pandemic. Safe staffing is a key part of de-escalation
I used to love my job, but recently I have had to brace myself before starting a shift, as I wonder ‘how much abuse am I going to suffer today?’.
I’m not alone; abuse of NHS staff is on the rise.
Majority of front-line workers experience patient aggression at least once a year
A 2022 YouGov survey of patient-facing health service staff found two thirds (67%) experience aggressive behaviour from a patient at least once a year. One in five (19%) face aggression at least once a week. And almost a
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests