Shortlist revealed for cancer nursing and research categories at the RCNi Nurse Awards 2017
The finalists have been revealed in the Cancer Nursing and Excellence in Cancer Research categories at the RCNi Nurse Awards 2017.
Winners will be announced at a ceremony at the Westminster Park Plaza Hotel in London on the night of Friday 5 May.
The nurse awards span a range of areas, including learning disability nursing, child health and nursing older people, and celebrate the best of the UK’s nursing workforce.
The coveted RCN Nurse of the Year 2017 prize will be awarded to one of the category winners at the end of the ceremony.
The shortlist for the Cancer Nursing award is:
- Jane Billing, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust.
- Michele Pengelly, Velindre NHS Trust, Wales.
- Sharon Foy, the Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester.
- Donna Cummings, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Anne Hope, Royal Surrey County Hospital.
Last year’s award was won by the South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust’s Aylesford Unit. Nurse consultant Carole Connor developed a nurse-led comprehensive acute oncology service, including an outpatient chemotherapy service seven days a week.
Excellence in Cancer Research
The shortlist for the Excellence in Cancer Research award is:
- Shirley Pringle, Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Stephanie Cornthwaite, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Jennifer Foreman, South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust.
- Rachel Taylor, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Julie Hoole, Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust.
The 2016 award was won by a team of research nurses from a variety of London and Oxford trusts, who led a study for the Bone Cancer Research Trust, which explored perceptions and experiences of bone cancer trials among teenagers.
Oxford Brookes University senior lecturer in cancer care Verna Lavender said winning the award was a fantastic opportunity to promote their work.
For a full list of finalists across all categories, go to rcni.com/nurse-awards/finalists
In other news