How to broach difficult subjects with your patients
Campaigner and retired surgeon Liz O’Riordan started an online conversation on the cancer issues no one talks to patients about
- The Twitter post elicited dozens of responses from people undergoing, or who had undergone, cancer treatment
- Most responses fell under four main themes of sex and intimacy; talking about death; fear of recurrence; and finances
- Advice from specialist nurses on how to discuss difficult subjects, and signpost further advice and support
For Liz O’Riordan, a retired breast surgeon, it was only after she was diagnosed with breast cancer that she discovered how many concerns she needed help with that were not discussed in her appointments.
This prompted her to
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests