Nursing older people with cancer
The final article in our series on how cancer affects different patient demographics focuses on older people
Older people are more likely than any other age group to be diagnosed with cancer. More than one third of new cancer cases in the UK were in people aged 75 and over in the two years to 2016.
age for peak rate of cancer incidence in the UK
Source: Cancer Research UK
Nurses are more likely to treat older people than other age groups for cancer, and generally the treatment is more complicated, says University of Bolton clinical practice lecturer Carole Farrell.
‘Older people have often developed a number of co-morbidities, making clinical oncology management more complex,’ she says....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests