My NHS trust's development programme gave me the leg-up I needed
Just as Lola Kehinde was getting frustrated at a lack of opportunities, her employer started a development programme that others might like to follow
As lead nurse in continence care at the largest NHS trust in the country, Lola Kehinde loves her job.
But she is eager to progress, so over the past few years has applied for promotions to give her career that all-important push. Although she has done well at interviews, she keeps being told she does not have enough experience.
‘I’ve been applying since 2010, on and off,’ explains Ms Kehinde, who qualified in nursing in Nigeria in 1982, before returning to her native UK six years later.
‘I got a couple of interviews but didn’t get the jobs, and, when I got feedback, was told I qualified but didn’t have the necessary experience,’ she says....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests