Macmillan lead cancer nurse
Jane Pickard, Macmillan lead cancer nurse at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, explains why she has embraced cancer nursing
What does your job involve?
I work collaboratively with clinical teams to ensure that the trust provides high-quality patient care and achieves its performance objectives in cancer care and management.
I also lead on the Living With and Beyond Programme, which aims to improve access and support for people living with cancer in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
Why did you become a nurse?
As a child, I loved a comic called Twinkle. My favourite story was Nurse Nancy about a girl who helped her grandfather mend broken toys. I knew I wanted to help people and make them better. I wouldn’t have wanted to do anything else.
How did you come to work in the field?...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests