How the Royal Marsden hospital left a lasting impact on my career
Jennifer Matthews is a radiation oncology nurse, University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre, Whitfield Cancer Centre in Waterford, Republic of Ireland
What does your job involve?
I work as part of a team of three specialist oncology nurses in a nurse-led clinic caring for patients receiving radiotherapy treatment for all types and stages of cancer.
This involves education, assessment and management of patients in relation to side effects and providing support throughout their treatment. I am also the lead nurse for clinical trials in our centre. It is the radiotherapy centre for the southeast of Ireland and we have a truly amazing team so I feel very lucky to be where I am.
Why did you choose to specialise?
I didn’t choose. My first real introduction was working as an agency nurse in The Royal Marsden Hospital in...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests