Funding my trips on the Mercy Ships has not been difficult
Meet one of the nurse volunteers who has travelled the world for up to a month at a time
I trained as a children’s nurse in York for three years, working on a ward for five years. Throughout my career, I kept returning to Mercy Ships because I am passionate about helping people without access to hospitals.
On the four times that I have volunteered, from nine-day to four-week placements, I’ve done general surgery such as hernias, lipomas and goitres, plastics to reduce movement restriction and, recently, orthopaedic surgery.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests