60 Seconds with Macmillan consultant nurse Victoria Harmer
People in hospital are often vulnerable, so be kind and show humanity, says Macmillan consultant nurse Victoria Harmer
Macmillan consultant nurse (breast) Victoria Harmer qualified with distinction in 1995 and has devoted her career to caring for patients with cancer. She specialised in breast cancer 17 years ago, after taking up a clinical nurse specialist post at London's St Mary's Hospital in 2000. She has been in her current role at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust since October 2016, and is also a published author and script adviser for television programmes featuring breast cancer storylines.
What are your main work responsibilities? I manage ten nurse specialists and am heavily involved in service delivery and improvement for breast screening and symptomatic services. I also run a nurse-led nipple areola tattoo...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests