Rediscover your passion by setting fresh career goals
Work motivation can be kick-started by redefining your ambitions, says Dean Gurden
We have probably all had days where the idea of going into work is as appealing as a slap in the face, but what if you start to feel like this every day?
For stressed-out healthcare professionals, often working in high-pressured, life-and-death environments, it is easy to get worn down and demotivated. At the same time, nursing involves a lot of routine tasks that can become dispiriting after a while.
‘There are numerous reasons for loss of motivation,’ says Michelle Brown, discipline lead for healthcare practice at the University of Derby’s Chesterfield campus. ‘It could be a lack of recognition or a feeling that one is “left behind” while others appear to be progressing. Or it could be monotony and a lack of inspiration in the day-to-day work.
‘Repeated criticism or failing to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests