Healthy staff provide better care
Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, which provides community, specialist mental health and learning disability services, believes an investment in the health and wellbeing of its 9,000 nurses, doctors, therapists and other staff is ultimately an investment in the quality of the care they give.
In November last year, the trust created the post of director for health and wellbeing. Appointee Catherine Smith is now tasked with looking for innovative ways to support staff personally and professionally.
‘If staff feel supported and have the resources and capabilities to fulfil their roles, undoubtedly they will deliver better care for their patients,’ she says.
Ms Smith has been overwhelmed by the response to a call for staff to volunteer as health and wellbeing champions.
Initiatives at the trust include:...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests